"1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."383 notes
- artisticscientist likes this
- jinseonshin likes this
- cutethoughtscutelife reblogged this from alexcheser
- postmodnik likes this
- proteaproductions reblogged this from theatlantic
- davidmanheim likes this
- kaitkallista likes this
- jordanpittman likes this
- amytwigg reblogged this from upworthy
- bronzecandy likes this
- born-english-raised-american reblogged this from bvsed-socialist
- born-english-raised-american likes this
- theymightbebeatles likes this
- kkuryla reblogged this from upworthy
- kkuryla likes this
- gunnuts-r-us reblogged this from quickhits
- dramy3 reblogged this from upworthy
- donlad217 reblogged this from upworthy
- donlad217 likes this
- laughingacademy likes this
- alexcheser reblogged this from upworthy
- semi-nontoxic likes this
- thesomethingthaticando likes this
- mllelorelei reblogged this from upworthy
- heyylayla reblogged this from upworthy
- myriadism likes this
- bettinajudd reblogged this from upworthy
- dstroym likes this
- shivatheroosterhen reblogged this from upworthy
- tallgirlinthetardis likes this
- fartraveler likes this
- katiemorrison94 reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- davidmichaelmoya likes this
- tessn9ne likes this
- christinahicks likes this
- tardispectre reblogged this from upworthy
- dangerkicks likes this
- fauxroses likes this
- lily-estherr reblogged this from upworthy
- littlelameballoonman reblogged this from upworthy
- yousaidthenerdword reblogged this from upworthy
- dietpoliogarithm reblogged this from upworthy
- aramzs likes this
- cannibalanimals likes this
- brandnewpages likes this
- upworthy reblogged this from theatlantic
- filaroska reblogged this from theatlantic
- joeszusz likes this