photoJan 04, 2013 8:11 pm
We have just come off an election with surprisingly low voter turnout. Turnout fell more or less steadily from 1960 until 1996, when slightly less than half of the voting-age population went to the polls. But then it ticked up: 51 percent in 2000, 54 percent in 2004, and 58 percent in 2008. In 2012 these gains largely vanished. Turnout fell to 53 percent.
The decline in turnout from 2008 to 2012 is one of the most puzzling features of November’s election. It is unclear not only why turnout dropped, but also how Obama managed to win in spite of it.
Read Stephen Ansolabehere’s “The Turnout Mystery” for more. (Boston Review, January/February 2013)
photosetJan 01, 2013 9:40 pm
French journalist from the TV show “Le Petit Journal” interviewing an Obama supporter during the presidential campaign:
- What is LGBT?
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender.
- It’s something you stand for?
- Yeah, sexual minorities, sexual preference minorities, since Obama is for them, I’m for him.
- You think it’s important?
- Yes. Everyone should — no matter who they love — should be equal.
- How old are you?
- I’m eleven.
This girl is kick ass.
photoNov 07, 2012 10:37 pm
audioNov 06, 2012 11:33 pmSong: Party In The U.S.AAlbum: The Time Of Our LivesArtist: Miley CyrusPlays: 298,517
photoNov 06, 2012 11:25 pm
textNov 06, 2012 4:22 pm
From Rumpus commenter Maura:
1. To find your polling place, you can text “FIND” to 228466. It will ask for your address and then tell you your polling location.
2. If anyone has any trouble at the polls, call 866-OUR-VOTE. This is a hotline number that will connect you to lawyers that are trained to help with election day issues. Do NOT leave your polling place… call the legal team and they will help you. 866-OUR-VOTE.
3. Remember- you simply need to be in line by the time the polls close, you do not need to have voted. If there are long lines, they may tell you that the polls are closed, but the law is that you have the right to vote if you are in the line in time. If they ask you to leave, stay where you are and call 866-OUR-VOTE.
photoNov 06, 2012 3:05 pm
photosetNov 06, 2012 1:49 pm
photoNov 06, 2012 12:33 pm
YOU GUYS WE ARE ELECTIONED THE F*CK OUT ON OUR HOMEPAGE RIGHT NOW.
Seriously, if you are as wired as we are, check these out:
- Our interactive, map-based guide to voter suppression and poll problems. We are updating this all day. A LOT.
- And, of course, the full 47 percent video… for extra GRR this morning.
VOTE, people. Then get everyone you know to VOTE. Then call strangers and ask them if they need a ride to VOTE. And keep your eyes on us for the latest!
FUCK YEAH, MOTHER JONES.